The Maxi dress is the dress of the season! They are everywhere and I’ve heard from some of you wondering if you can wear them. So just what is a maxi dress? The words that best describe a maxi dress are flirty, flowing, and floor length. And yes, many people can pull off this look as there are many, many different styles to choose from. It’s all about finding the best one for you and your body.
I‘m short….For those of you who are more petite here are a few guidelines to follow.
1. Find a maxi that is a little more fitted and less of a tent shape. I am not suggesting form fitting but I am saying it should sit more closely to your body.
2. Look for a dress that has more of an empire waist or defined waist.
3. Avoid any kind of horizontal stripe or pattern. A dress with larger areas of solid color or vertical design elements will help elongate your frame.
4. And of course the favorite trick if you are short…wear a heel instead of a flat. The best kind of shoe for this dress is either a wedge or a flip flop but since you are shorter you will look better in a wedge.
I am curvy….Hello curvy ladies! Yes, you too can wear maxi dresses.
1. Thicker straps or a halter style will work best for those of you who have a larger bust. If you find one that is strapless, find a cute bolero sweater that looks good over the top. Strapless or spaghetti straps are not your best look as they will make you look larger than you are.
2. Find a dress with a lot of pattern going on. Patterns can cause distraction to the eye and oftentimes can cover up areas of lumps and bumps. Remember to always wear the size pattern that matches your bone structure. If you are not a pattern person and prefer solids choose a darker solid color dress.
I am 50 or older…Well, I can certainly appreciate not wanting to look like you are dressing like you are 30 something. You ladies can pull off the maxi dress if it’s done right. This look can also turn very dowdy very quickly.
1. Only wear this look to appropriate places – shopping, a summer picnic, the beach, the pool etc. You may look a little out of place if you try and wear the maxi dress out to a nicer dinner with your hubby unless you are in Hawaii.
2. I suggest wearing it with a little bolero sweater or semi-fitted jacket. It will make you feel less exposed on top.
3. Wear the dress with a cute flat sandal or flip flop instead of with a wedge sandal.
4. A halter or tank style will be most flattering. If you can, find a dress that has a bit more construction, it will look less floppy and dowdy.
5. Wear prints that match the scale of your frame and avoid prints or patterns that are loud.
Most importantly, find a maxi dress that you feel good in. It’s a fun, flirty look for summer that is a must have for most closets!