Welcome to Such Savvy Style
Can you believe that department stores are already dressed up for the holidays? I walked into Macy’s the day after Halloween to Santa Baby blasting. As much as I shop, I am not ready for Santa Baby yet!! However, I am ready for all the fun party clothing.
Hot Holiday Looks
The time has arrived to start thinking all your holiday parties and functions. With that comes the possible stress of what to wear. Well, let’s chat about what is hot right now and then we will discuss some fun options.
This season it’s all about fur and sequins. If it has fur and or sequins you can’t go wrong. You can’t even walk into a store without seeing, fur, sequins, glitter, and velvet all over the place. Mixed within all that fur are bold and bright colors. Say goodbye to the LBD (little black dress) this holiday season and hello to color and pizzazz! Here are a few tips for picking the perfect holiday look.
1. Make sure your outfit, either dressy or casual, has a little something extra. Think black velvet pants, a bright colored sequined top with a fur caplet. If you are going with a more casual look you could pair chic jeans with a fun but simple top and add a fur and velvet scarf. What if your event is formal? There are so many beautiful dresses out there so pick something that flatters your shape first and foremost. Then go with a bold color that is your best. Lastly, think of the trends to add the pizzazz.
2. Pick accessories based on your outfit. The most important thing is that you wear some! Remember, they are like the icing on the cake. A cake tastes and looks bland without it. Your outfit will be the same way, bland, if you don’t take the time to add the finishing touches. Remember, accessories can include shoes. If you are not a fan of the brighter bolder colors for a dress, you are in luck because there are just as many hot shoe options in beautiful colors. If you feel more comfortable in a LBD pair it with a great fun colored pair of shoes and necklace.
3. Wear appropriate undergarments. There is nothing in the world worse than a women dressed to the nines and then seeing her exposed undergarments. Many of you have heard me say this before but the undergarments can make or break an outfit. Undergarments are the foundation for all of your outfits.
If you are thinking that you still have no clue what you will wear to your holiday functions, call me and let’s set up a time to get you all prepared. We can either put together a fabulous ensemble from your exciting items, or we can go shopping to pick out the perfect thing.
Over the last 9 months I have shared with you tips on different body shapes. This month I will talk about the last body shape, the hour glass. If you have missed any, please feel free to see previous newsletters at www.suchsavvystyle.com. I will discuss the characterizations of the body shape, what looks amazing and what should be avoided. There are six body types–Hour Glass, Rectangle, Contoured Rectangle, Triangle, Inverted Triangle and the Oval.
What’s My Shape??
This Month’s Shape is the Hour Glass
If you are an hour glass, lucky you!!
If you are an hour glass, your shoulder or bust will be the same width as your hips. Your waist will be about ten inches smaller than the width of your bust and hips. The hour glass is the what we visualize as the ideal women’s body shape with a larger bust, a tiny waist and shapely hips. However, even with this shape there can be challenges. Because your waist is so tiny you really want to accentuate that feature. So wearing a top that is more of a gunny sack or really drapey through the waist will hang straight from the bust and add ten pounds to your mid-section. This may be a bit of a challenge this season as many of the tops are very flowy through the mid-section. You should wear silhouettes that are fitted and you will look great in belts. Show off your curves with waisted dresses. Another challenge is that often times as you age, your hour glass shape can change from that of an hour glass to more of a contoured rectangle. This is what happened to me. Imagine having a body that was fairly easy to dress and then having a body that changed into something much more difficult. This shape really is the one that changes the most as we age because women tend to gain weight in the waist. Remember, if this has happened to you it’s ok to still show off your waist. You just need to do it differently than you did before. Stay away from belts unless you wear them under jackets. Instead of wearing fitted clothing, try a more semi-fitted look. (Also, see my segment about dressing for the contoured rectangle.)
|* The Hour Glass is the first shape.
If you still have questions about your body shape and what will look best on you call for a body style analysis or wardrobe evaluation appointment.
Just what is
Are you one of those people who has many clothing items in your closet and none of them seem to mix well together. If you find yourself in this prediciment there is a strong possibility you don’t have a sense of your own personal style. One of the first things I do when I meet a new client is discuss their style, or help them figure it out if they don’t think they have one. Knowing your personal style is key.
When you know your style you will not only be able to make wise decisions when you are shopping, but you will also have a closet full of clothes that all work together in many different outfits. So often I am working in someone’s closet and say to them "this doesn’t even look like you or your style!" If you only buy clothing you think is cute, without thinking whether it is fitting to you and your personality, you could find yourself with a closet full of clothes but you may feel like you have nothing to wear. Here are a few tips to help you figure out your own personal style.
1. Think about who you are. Do you like to make a statement with your clothing or do you prefer to blend in? Are you fun and bubbly or more even toned?
2. Think about things you like. Are you drawn to a more frilly romantic style, a conservative and traditional style, a sporty look, or maybe you are creative and artistic. Do you like the contrast and the drama of black and white or the elegance of Channel? Maybe you like a more alluring sexy look. Often times people will feel a connection to a few of these styles.
If you can narrow down what you really like, you will not only save yourself a ton of money when you are shopping but you will also have clothing that all goes together. An example would be someone who has a closet full of very dramatic items and then goes and makes a purchase of a flowery, flowy skirt in pastel colors. They will have a problem finding other items to go with that skirt from their closet. Not to mention, that if they are a bit of a dramatic person they will look and most likely feel out of place and uncomfortable in this very romantic skirt.
If you do not know your personal style, let me help you save money and time by figuring it out.
Don’t forget about
Holiday Gift Certificates!!
If you have a friend or family member who would love to get some new outfits out of their existing wardrobe give them the gift of a personal stylist! Maybe you have a friend who hates to shop because they have no idea what to buy. What a gift it would be for them to have someone shop with them and have an amazing shopping experience.
Have you been thinking that you would really like to schedule an appointment for yourself but you just can’t spend the money? What a great gift to ask for!
All of my services can be purchased as a gift certificate, or you can purchase a gift certificate in a valued dollar amount. That way the receiver can choose their own service.